Topband: Lazy U Antenna

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Lazy U Antenna
From: w8ji@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2001 20:11:52 -0500
Hi Denny,

>  You will double the gain by merely eliminating the 90 foot run of wire 5'
> off the ground and feeding it at the base of the 80' vertical section,
> with no radials at all!

You bring up a good point. It is totally unreasonable to consider a
low horizontal wire carrying substantial currents or having
significant voltage as "lossless" when that wire is a small fraction
of a wave above earth.

As a matter of fact, NEC-2 in comparisons I have seen has actually
underestimated the loss by a fairly large margin with low conductor
height. In the case of a dipole .05 wl high, I believe NEC-2 missed
by 3 or more dB, estimating a stronger signal than actually
produced.

73, Tom W8JI
w8ji@contesting.com