Topband: Topband Propagation

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Topband Propagation
From: ford@cmgate.com (Ford Peterson)
Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2001 16:02:03 -0600
Bob (NM7M)

After just finishing your book on Long Path Prop, I am left with the
question.

you wrote:

...where the geomagnetic field lines are 60-70 degrees from the horizontal;
that is called quasi-transverse propagation in magneto-ionic theory...

At the magnetic poles, where the field lines eventually (right at the pole)
become vertical, is it this angular change at northern latitudes that
accounts for the higher apparent absorbtion of signals?

Stated another way, I'm at 45 degrees North in central Minnesota.  Have the
field lines already begun to tilt at this latitude?  I can visualize the
field lines beginning to drop towards the pole, is this the terminator for
ducted signals?

Ford-N0FP
ford@cmgate.com