Topband: 160 Meter Propagation

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: 160 Meter Propagation
From: w7iuv@earthlink.net (Larry Molitor)
Date: Sat, 06 Jan 2001 15:00:28 +0000
At 05:45 AM 1/6/01 -0800, Robert Brown wrote:

>It's not a matter of attitude, just latitude, GEOMAGNETIC latitude.

Hi Bob,

Please elaborate.

The bearings and distance from my QTH to JA are 310°/52°/9331 km.
The bearings and distance from my QTH to DL are 34°/312°/8820 km.

With similar, but opposite, paths I would like to believe I would have
similar results, everything else being equal. However, for example, this
season I have not been able to hear a single EU station, but JA's will
frequently be S5 to S9 and easily worked. What gives?

73,

Larry - W7IUV

P.S.  Larry the simple answer is auroral zone absorption.  Magnetic
North (MN) is about 4 degrees from your QTH and the auroral zone eats
signals in that general direction...and not toward JA...we have the
same but opposite effect from the East Coast since MN from here is
353 degrees...de W4ZV.