Topband: What is this!

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: What is this!
From: wpgerhold@longo-ind.com (Bill Gerhold)
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2001 11:10:28 -0500
I am have a perplexing problem when receiving on 160 that I cannot
explain.  This only happens on the 160 meter band.

I do not operate AM mode but, in the AM mode on my IC-735, I have
an "S" meter reading that is always around an "S9".  On sideband, this
"S9" becomes an "S4-5".  It is always there and has no discernable source.
It is not a signal that can be tuned, zero beated or heterodyned it just
seems
to be there and permeates the entire band.  It is not static like from
fluorescent
lights or ignition noise either.  Noise blankers do not affect it.  It has
no
rhythm or signature or any other recognizable features.

Switching my 1/2 wave dipole to an unused position (no antenna connected to
rig), eliminates this "thing" completely.  Throwing the main breaker in the
house and running the rig on (2) 6 volt batteries in series, does not affect
the
strength or tuning position of the "Thing" in any way, it's still there.
My experiments indicate it is coming in on the 160 meter dipole.

I live in a very rural area without any industry and only a few private
homes.
Part of my dipole ~ 30 feet, parallels power lines separated by about 25
feet.
These are high voltage power lines probably 4160 or 2300 volts.  Could my
antenna
be inductively coupled to them?  If so wouldn't I have a 60hz buzz or hum.
This "Thing" has no noise or hum it's just there.  If it was generated
internally by the
receiver, it wouldn't disappear when the antenna is disconnected.  This
"thing" is
not there in the daytime so I do not believe I am coupled into power lines
as they
are on all the time.  The "S" meter rests on zero during the day.  Maybe
broadcast
band overload?  The nearest 50kw station is 40 miles away.  What do you guys
think.

Bill
WA2AEH