Topband: Stew Perry Contest Unusual Way

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Stew Perry Contest Unusual Way
From: wally@el-soft.com (Valeri Stefanov)
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2000 12:22:26 +0200
Hi Fellow Topbanders,

Few days ago I worked Ben DL6RAI on 80m and said to him:
"See you in CQWW 160m CW in January Ben".
The reply was - "And what about Stew Perry Contest?"
In fact I have never participated until this year in this one.
W1BB was one of my Elmers on top band together with Wal W8LRL ,when the
band has been opened for LZs and I thought - lets pay a tribute to the great
man.
Moreover I was the first to suggest introduction of QTH Loc into a 160m tests
back in 1986 (in  Top Band Bulletin - Radiosporting June 1986) to try to have
better scoring system for CQWW 160m contests.

So, fortunately my wife has some things to be fixed up for New Year and my
daughters were busy with other things and have been left alone on the
evening of 30th of Dec.
I have never operated Low Power in 160m contest before, but now being at
home in the center of the city I was not able to use my ACOM 2000 A due to
possible TVI. So, I used only newly purchsed back up rig - IC 735 ( 100 W
out).
The only antenna I could use somehow on 160m was the only one I have now
in Pleven - my 80m Delta Loop via the tuner :-((((.
So, here we go with 100 W and 80m antenna. VEERY unusual for LZ2CJ - Hi.
Guys it was a struggle !  Started at 16.41 with 9A2AJ who was easy - copied
my call after two calls. Then Tine S50A was worked after several calls.
Started calling SP5EWY and IV3PRK and it took me more than one hour to
finally work them. Needed more than 1 hour to call regularily Riki 4X3A until
QSO went in the log at 18.36 Z. The trophy for TOP EARS goes to Ben DL6RAI
and GM3POI. They copied me right away after giving my call just one time.
Worked 45 stations for about 6 hours of operation. Heard TA3D, RX9AX and
UA9CDC but after calling them many times I gave up.
Best DX QSO - that with Riki 4X3A. Best EU QSO - GM3POI (IO 88).
Sations heard ,but not worked - SP5DRS,OE2VEL,OH2BO,SM5EDX,UT7I,
DL7ON,ON4UN (called John for 15 minutes), SM6MCW, UY5VAT, G4VGO,
OK1DX,OK1WF,G3SED,DJ5BV.
Stopped working at 00.45 Z.

Hope this info will be useful for those who will find their calls
written above.
See you all in CQWW 160m CW ( M/S  LZ2CJ or LZ8T ) from my country side
location - MUUUCH BETTER  for reception :-)))).

73's and Happy New Year .
de Wally LZ2CJ