Topband: Another Noise Question

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Another Noise Question
From: lburke@wt.net (Larry Burke WI5A)
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2000 13:13:17 -0600
I've been searching for this one for weeks now to no avail... I'm heading
out for another look this afternoon, but thought I'd see if anyone has any
ideas on a possible source. The symptoms, etc:

1. The noise sounds like a continuous steady static discharge. Not a raspy
buzz, but a noise more like that produced by rain static once the rain
static becomes continuous.
2. It appears in a few isolated clumps in the low frequencies, roughly 100
kHz either side of 2725 kHz and 3725 kHz.
3. Hard to tell, but the source may be responsible for some general noises
elsewhere in the spectrum... the static only appears in the ranges
indicated above.
4. Can't hear it on an AM BCB radio
5. It seems to go away during and for a day or so following a rain, leading
me to believe the source is outdoors and getting cleaned a bit by the
moisture. But why would it get dirty again so soon?
6. I've been able to indicate a direction to some extent using the only two
Beverages I have. Noise comes in strong using Beverages, 40m vertical and
80m sloper, but not even detectable on any of my albeit higher frequency
yagis (including the 30m yagi).
7. I have an ICOM IC-R10 hand held receiver that covers this part of the
spectrum, but I cannot receive the noise on it... possibly indicating it is
not extremely close. This receiver leaves something to be desired anyway
for HF. It might come in handy if I got close to the noise, though. I do
not have a mobile rig for HF. Driving around with the handheld has produced
nothing.
8. I can hear the noise on both my MP and TS-930.
9. Killing the power to the house (except for pieces of the shack... killed
those separately) made no difference.
10. I live across the street from a Junior High School, but a walk around
the perimeter with the handheld didn't pick up anything.
11. It's S-8 on the MP's meter at 1 pm  when I would not normally see much,
if any noise on 80m.

Know it's a long shot, but I've picked up a lot of tricks so far on the
reflector... thought someone out there may have something to add.

Larry -- Wi5A