Topband: noise

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: noise
From: Skip Reba" <ws9v@royell.net (Skip Reba)
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2000 07:35:02 -0600
Hi all

I have looked for noise at both of my QTH's over the years.
When I was in the city I tracked noise down to a bad lug (i.e. connection)
of aluminuim wire used as entrance cable on a house about 1 1/2 blocks
away.
The electric company likes to find these as they usually can be on
either side of the meter base or main at the house. They are a real power
sucker and heat generator.
If you know anyone locally with a thermal imager they are not to expensive
anymore.
I have access to one at work were we look at bearing and winding heating
in electric motors I rebuild.
Just aim at any connection on pole, meter base, wall outlet and let the
heat give you a idea of energy loss.

Happy hunting
73 Skip   WS9V