Topband: High Z vs Low Z shunt feed tower

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: High Z vs Low Z shunt feed tower
From: ford@cmgate.com (Ford Peterson)
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2000 10:57:08 -0600
Wow!  I guess I touched on a topic that is near and dear to many hearts...

I have many responses from many people.  Thanks for the input.  It's a
balancing act trying to find the "optimum" solution to a feed problem.

One question in my mind at this point relates to the "LOSS" in a reactive
element.  Many have referred to just throwing in a vacuum variable here or
there (Omega).  Sounds great.  My wife would call a lawyer if I started
throwing that kind of money into a single feed point.

The question is this...

I have a 200pf 15kv doorknob cap that I use to match the feeder.  At 1832 it
is a 432 ohm Xc component.  If it resonates the system, do I care?  Is there
a way to measure or predict the "LOSS" by using this value?

DF2PY (Wolf) has expressed some interest in discussing this on SSB.
Possibly 20 or 15 meters next friday.  This stuff touches on issues he has
with his system as well.  Watch for a posting.

Ford-N0OQW
ford@cmgate.com