Topband: Bizarre conditions 10/28 on top band

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Bizarre conditions 10/28 on top band
From: kn4lf@webtv.net (Thomas Giella)
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2000 05:45:26 -0400 (EDT)
Gary KD9SV Said:
I have seen selective propagation before, but not to this extent.

Thomas KN4LF Says:
   I worked CN8WW on phone with my puny 135 watts, he was very strong at
59+10 but I also heard many of the other Euro stations with no problem
here in central Florida.
  The signals to and from central Florida and Europe were not passing
through the polar regions, like on higher paths in Indiana. We had 10
minor and 1 moderate solar flares, with the A index up to 49 ad the Kp
index at a 5, enough to mess up the E/F layer duct mechanism and
overionize the D layer after local sunset. The end result was auroral
absorption/blockage on high latitude signal paths but not lower paths.
  It was one of those rare nights when we in Florida could hear signals
that stations further north couldn't.

73 And Take Care,

Thomas Giella, KN4LF