Topband: Antenna Height

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Antenna Height
From: wpgerhold@longo-ind.com (Bill Gerhold)
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2000 16:11:13 -0400
I am looking for opinions and answers on two subjects.
I am using a 160 meter dipole at about 25 - 40 feet high
(terrain varies).  I live on a mountain top that is 1200 asl.
Yet, I do not have a straight line view of any horizon from my
location.  Other mountain tops are 100 - 200 hundred feet higher
and within 1 or more miles of my location.  To my east, I am in the
shadow of a hill that is 200 feet higher and it is only 1/4 mile away.
To my west, another hill is about 100 feet higher and it is about 1/8
mile away.  To my north and south it is basically free of mountain tops
except for about 10 miles or more.  To the south they are lower to the
north they get higher.

Basically I am in a shallow valley between mountain tops, and no
it is not a dormant volcano!  Hi Hi.

Q.    I have the ability to raise the feed point of this antenna about
another 20 feet.
Will this have any measurable effect on signals received or transmitted?
Should I even try?

2.    Does the 1200 asl at this qth matter on 160 meters at all when it
comes to received signals or transmitted signals?

Thanks for your replies.

Bill
WA2AEH