Topband: annex coupler

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: annex coupler
From: Joseph.Agius@sybase.com (Joseph Agius)
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2000 07:54:46 -0400
I call my idea an annex coupler.

I have a 240 foot dipole (120 ea side) fed with 400 ohm openline.
The open line goes to a 4:1 balun then rg 213 coax to the shack.
I use this on all bands 10 thru 80 meters coupling it thru a pi-network tuner.
The variable capacitors have plates 1/4 inch apart and the coil is variable
on a roller.

I get 1:1 swr on all bands.  For 160M I bypass the tuner and get 6:1 swr.
I manged to make some contacts at this rate - my longest from MA to WY.
However, sigs are weak.

What I would like to do is feed the output of the tuner to another pi-network
just
for 160 operation.  The theory is that the added capacitance and additional
coil would balance the line.

My experiments have not been fruitfull,  I cannot even get the meters to move
when I do this.
I probably am not adding enough capacitance and/or coil.

Does anyone have any idea on how to approach this?  How much capacitance and
coil to add.

My max that I have experimented with is 60 feet of #16 wound on a ceramic form
about 2/2 inches
in diameter and 6 inches long (overlapping) and one capacitor about the same
size as in the tuner.

Any ideas or links to 160 homebrew tuners would be appreciated.

Thank You

Joe
W1TW