R: Topband: 160 propagation

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: R: Topband: 160 propagation
From: luisprk@tin.it (Luis Mansutti IV3PRK)
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2000 22:19:03 +0200
Hi Gang,
I completely agree with Tom

> I hope people don't give up trying because conditions are poor for a
> few nights. There were many times during mid-summer when a DX
> station was just booming in and no one was on to enjoy the
> opening. That includes working people in northern Europe, as well
> as southern hemisphere stuff.

I have been active and calling long CQ's all nights or mornings, even during
mid-summer and there have been some openings, fewer than the previous years
of course, (with the exception of South America, totally dead), but they
have been!
I recorded seven nights of good signals here in EU from the V2 and 8P9
operations from the dutch boys in august, so I think it's more a matter of
activity rather then lack of propagation if the band sounds dead.
I'm keeping the observations on Solar flux and A and K indexes, but very
difficult to find a relation with the DX conditions on 160.
Some examples:
Friday morning Sept. 15 - K0 = cqing from 04.00 to 04.30: nothing
Saturday night Sept. 16 at 22.00z called by ZD9ZM on 1832 (579) and left him
the frequency hi!
Sunday morning Sept.17 - K4 = from 02.50 to 03.45 wkd 15 States from
IL/IND/MI to AL/TN/FLA even with 599 signals; then nothing for half an hour
and than ...whow! K7CA, W0AH and N7JW all with a good 569 !!
Monday morning Sept 18 = ZS6UT at 03.38 with 589 and after long CQs ..the
only NA was Bruce, K1FZ, at 04.25z much weaker then usual.
Tuesday and Wednesday mornig: absolutely nothing again....but DON'T GIVE UP!

Best 73
Luis IV3PRK