Topband: High Latitude K-indcies

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: High Latitude K-indcies
From: kinderh@cadvision.com (Steve Babcock)
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2000 21:33:36 -0600
I received an e-mail from Cary Oler regarding the High latitude K indices
which used to be available at the Solar terrestrial dispatch site:
http://www.spacew.com/www/topband.html

Here is his e-mail:

"The situation with the web site you found interesting is this: Earlier this
year, we had to scrape back on some of our services that were less popular.
The 160 meter band site we had been providing information for was found to
be on the low-end of the usage scale. So it was (sadly) concluded that we
needed to axe those services in order to preserve CPU time.

If you need the high-latitude geomagnetic K-index data, go to the following
URL (SEC supports the same information):
ftp://ftp.sec.noaa.gov/pub/latest/MAhr.txt
and: ftp://ftp.sec.noaa.gov/pub/latest/MA2hr.txt

This data originates from the U.S. Air Force and is updated roughly
every hour.

Cary Oler. "

I like the second spot since many of these monitoring stations are located
along my northern path to EU, and seem to be more related to possible EU
openings.

73 es, please keep posting those 160m spots to the clusters.......it helps
us "propagationally challenged" north-western stations to know that maybe
the band will open !!!!

de  Steve VE6WZ