Topband: Topband conditions in CO

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Topband conditions in CO
From: W0AH@aol.com (W0AH@aol.com)
Date: Sun, 3 Sep 2000 11:19:16 EDT
Our monsoon weather with thunderstorms arrived late this year after months of
drought.  For the past 2 1/2 weeks, we've had local thunderstorms every
evening with S9+20 QRN on 160.  Even the hour before sunrise has been noisy
with S9 QRN.
I could barely hear K1ZM (and others) working DX earlier this week.  Only DX
heard was FM5BH.   I usually need almost quiet conditions (S5 here) to hear
EU and AF.
Last night there were no local thunderstorms, and for an hour, QRN was only
S9, but up to S9+20 by 8:30PM local.
his morning I worked KH6ND/KH5 with 200 watts since the amp was not warmed
up, my 1st DX of the season and new country.
I wonder what freq the JA's are on now? I'll be listening evenings for EU and
AF and mornings for VK, ZL, JA, etc.
running same old FT-1000D, KW PA, and 90' top loaded vertical.
Think I improved my EU and JA beverages slightly.   At least, they're 100'
longer- around 800' now.

Doug  W0AH  central Colorado