Topband: More 160M Receivers-Mid $$

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: More 160M Receivers-Mid $$
From: k2qo@hotmail.com (Mark Adams)
Date: Fri, 01 Sep 2000 09:49:42 EDT
Hi Gang,

Here is the challenge. I have read all the posts on the differences in 160M
capability between the 1000mp, Omni VI, etc.  But my reality is that after I
cut the lawn for the last time in October, I put up my 165' inverted L and
go at it until the lawn needs cutting in April. (I know I should let all
those radials grow into the lawn this year!)

Since I am not willing to shell out $2K+ for a new rig, I am looking at the
TS-570S(G), IC-746 and FT-920.  Will I see a big difference between these
rigs on 160M with such a marginal antenna? I  have been using a TenTec Scout.

QST Data is not available for the IC-746 at 1 MHz but the other two are as
follows:

         Kenwood        Yaesu
MDS     -114 dBm        -113
BDR      133 dB          114
IMDDR    95 dB            86
3rd INT  25.3 dBm         19.5

I really like to work the ARRL 160 contest as a QRP entry.  In fact, most of
my contesting is QRP.  Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Mark K2QO