Topband: radial system

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: radial system
From: w8ji@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2000 09:33:28 -0400
> I am preparing for the permanent installation of a 1/4 wave monopole for
> top band.  The need to procure enough radial (about 8000 feet) wire now
> faces me.  What gauge and type of wire is being used and from where can it
> be procured.

I buy bare tinned copper buss wire from International Wire in Dallas
Texas. Last purchase was just over 2 cents per foot, but I buy
20,000 foot or more at a time.

I like it because it is heavy enough to not break easily, more than
big enough to have negligible resistance, is copper so it lasts a
long time, is easy to solder, doesn't need to be stripped every time
I make a connection, and usually is a single length on 5000 foot
rolls so there is no waste or splicing.

We used mostly number ten at BC stations for life of system
considerations.
73, Tom W8JI
w8ji@contesting.com