Topband: Down Under Diary 19/06

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Down Under Diary 19/06
From: sire@iinet.net.au (Steve Ireland)
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2000 08:17:35 +0800
After a couple of weeks of only hearing Svein LA3XI at sunrise, there was a
brief opening into Europe and western Russia today.

At around 2240Z, LA3XI came through as usual, at about RST55/69, but could
not raise Sven, although Mike VK6HD worked him.  Svein has been up to RST
579 over the last week or two, but often cannot hear me, due to QRN at his
end.  However, Mike VK6HD, some 450km south east of me, has had better
success.

At around the same time, there were two good signals calling CQ Test - RD4M
(579) and RK9AWN (559), but I could could not raise either station,
although the former seemed to hear me at one point.

At 2245Z, Bob G4VGO was heard with 569 signals, and worked both Mike and
myself (although I am not sure he got my call correct).  By 2255Z, still
some 20 minutes before sunrise, signals were dropping and I went QRT.
There is still some life in the topband.

Vy 73,

Steve, VK6VZ