Topband: Beverage Construction

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Beverage Construction
From: K0FF@ARRL.NET (K0FF)
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 09:07:48 -0500
A very nice summary, Ink, and congrats on the nice installation/
I have tried Fence wire, and it does work AOK, but in this climate (NE MO)
it seems to break a lot more than the 18Ga stranded electric wire that I
settled on (inspection of broken ends indicates metal fatigue). The small
Ga. soft copper does stretch, and I have to re-tension it once in a while,
but I like it because it because no real damage is done if a tree limb falls
on it/. The 500 footer (135 degree)  and the 300 foot vertical Beverage (180
degree-3Y0PI)off the bluff are made from 10Ga. as they have to support their
own weight for the entire run.
Also I always install a "weak link" at both ends, that will easily break,
and spare the Hub box , just in case someone snags the main run with a
tractor or delivery truck or something.

Geo K0FF