Topband: Antenna Switch

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Antenna Switch
From: ford@cmgate.com (Ford Peterson)
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2000 17:21:25 -0600
Anybody got an idea on how much power a remote antenna switch can handle.

I bought the thing at a ham fest.  It's four position, grounds when not in
use.  Has BNC connectors.  Appears Mil surplus but no markings.  Measures
about 4" x 3" and 3/4" thick.  (BNC equals low power!  de W4ZV)

I use it to switch my 80 meter, 40 meter dipoles and the tribander.  It
works great at 100 watts.  At the top of my tower, it makes the two dipoles
appear as top loading for the 68 ft foldover Rohn tower.  I load it on 160
right at the top of the tower with 1 meter distance of the shunt wire.
Measures about 450 ohms j 330 at 1840.

Using a 9:1 transformer and about 300pf of capacitance, I get a usable match
with the auto tuner in most places on the 160 meter band.

The trouble is, I want to start using power.  If I screw up the switch, my
whole system will be ruined.  Does anybody have experience with these mil
surplus switches?  I'd appreciate you dropping me a line direct.

Ford -- N0OQW
ford@cmgate.com