Topband: drift nets

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: drift nets
From: n2nl@netpci.com (Dave Mueller)
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2000 06:41:59 +1000
Tom,
   The beacons you are describing aren't used solely on drift nets (which
have been internationally outlawed).  Most of the time they are used for
long line fishing, where a boat will lay a 20-40 mile long fishing line with
baited hooks every 100-200 yards.  They use beacons at each end of the line
as well as a couple places along its length (incase the line is broken by a
deep draft vessel).  Each beacon has a different set frequency, usually
somewhere in the 160m band, mostly above 1900 KHz, and its frequency and
position is marked when it is dropped overboard.
   These bouys weigh about 30 pounds, and consist of a cylinder about 2ft
long and 8 inches in diameter (containing beacon and batteries).  The top of
the cylinder has a ring of insulation around it for floatation, with a
10-12ft long whip antenna.
   The sets of fishing gear are usually left out approxamately 18-24 hours;
after the line is laid the boat will usually transit back to the start point
for haul out.
   These long lining boats are all over the place in the Western Pacific,
and there are usually a dozen or so tied up at the pier here in Guam.  I
also know long line fishing takes place in the Grand Banks off Newfoundland,
as well as in other parts of the world.
   I will surely be involved in several long line fishing boat inspections
once the drydocking of my patrol boat is completed, and I will try to get
some manufacturing information for you at that time.  It might be difficult,
as most are manufactured in Japan and are written in Japanese script.

I hope this info helps,
73, Dave KH2/N2NL
(active duty US Coast Guard)