Topband: 240' tower

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: 240' tower
From: herbs@islands.vi (Herb Schoenbohm)
Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2000 12:22:45 -0400
<001201bf7177$45f82340$6594163f@microbyte>
Sender: owner-topband@contesting.com

In the 70's and early 80's I was fortunate enough to have 300 foot self
supporting tower in my back yard and tried several different feed
possibilities.  I found in my case that installing slopers was the easiest and
best performing.  I had presumed that the tower itself will provide additional
gain as an aperiodic reflector.  Some estimates I have seen on sloper models
seem to support the claim that slopers are a fine antenna worthy of
consideration by low band DXers, especially if the small directivity is a
factor.

If I remember correctly I worked Riki 4X4NJ with this setup.  I have heard him
since but never been able to get him with my small inverted L from my present
location.

73,

Herb KV4FZ
Box 4419