Topband: High Beverage noise

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: High Beverage noise
From: kn4lf@webtv.net (Thomas Giella)
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2000 13:32:17 -0500 (EST)
John AA1K Said:
  This Beverage is far noisier than all the rest. The others are
typically S0-S1 noise level, but this one is a steady S8 noise floor!

Thomas KN4LF Says:
  One of my EWE antenna's run perpendicular to my electrical service
entrance with a 10 foot spacing and the EWE still picks up extra noise
from it, even though the power line is not normally a problem, S1-3 on
160 meters at day on the 1/2 wave L.
  The noise level on all my ewe's dropped as I raised their height but
it all depends where the vertical polarized combined noise field is
concentrated. Higher could be better or worse depending on your unique
QTH setup.
   Also your beverage at the 110 deg heading could be orientated to
favor a nearby noise source. That also happened to me on a EWE I had
terminated towards the south. An electric fence zapper 1 mile south was
+20 over S9 but inaudible on the other three.

Thomas Giella
KN4LF
Plant City, Fl.
kn4lf@webtv.net