Topband: XZ0A 1/22/00 2200Z +/- & JA Long Path today 2200z

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: XZ0A 1/22/00 2200Z +/- & JA Long Path today 2200z
From: K1ZM@aol.com (K1ZM@aol.com)
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2000 00:12:47 EST
Hello Gang

XZ0A was quite good copy (579 initially) out of a bearing at 080 degrees
starting about 2214z this afternoon.  He called CQ over and over listening
between 1831.0 to 1831.5.

I was copying him almost equally well on a 080 degree beverage and a 120
degree beverage - and initially he was down on a pair of phased pennants
aimed at 050 degrees.

I called for close to 45 minutes (no success) and he was not (seemingly)
hearing well at all.

I was interrupted by several phone calls between 2250z - 2330z and by the
time I came back, he had faded down to 349 by 2330z on both of these
beverages.

About 2355z, he was starting to come up again - but this time over Europe on
the pair of phased pennants (side by side spacing at 225 feet - fed in phase).

He peaked about 449 at 0005z and was gone by about 0011z.  Still no QSO.

I have to assume he had some kind of local noise problem - as at 2215z he was
"in the room with me" at an honest 579 at 080 degrees - and stayed at least
569 until nearly 2250z when I took my first phone call.

A really GOOD opening.

Also, from 2200z - 2208z this afternoon, I copied JR6PGB calling CQ over the
Long path on 1911.5 QSX 31.  He had a 459 signal and was loud enough to have
made a qso - but he too did not hear me.

This was one of about (3) long path Ja openings I have heard this Winter at
my sunset and just about Ja sunrise.  These openings do NOT occur with great
regularity.  Signals were loudest on a 120 degree beverage about 800 feet in
length - although he was perceptible on the SE quadrant of a 4 square array.

Good DX - but no cigar - either way!

73 JEFF

K1ZM@aol.com