Topband: balloon verticals

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: balloon verticals
From: W8JI@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2000 09:48:38 -0500
> For the record my subdivision does have underground power. And I know
> nothing about the wire suspended from a 4' balloon that blew across the
> Tudor Road substation and knocked out power to 25,000 homes. Honest.
>
> 73 from Anchorage.

A famous West Virginia 160 DXer had a balloon vertical up and
went to the store. When he arrived home the baloon was gone, and
so was his coax, window curtains, and the headphones were a pile
of melted plastic.

Lucky he was miles away when the balloon vertical hit the power
lines.

73, Tom W8JI
w8ji@contesting.com