Topband: Re Poynting Vector question

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Re Poynting Vector question
From: n7cl@mmsi.com (Eric Gustafson)
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2000 13:50:27 -0700
(Guys, I'm getting many messages that are essentially the
same as this one so I'm only posting it.  If you would like
to pursue CFA, I suggest the Antennex site is the place to
do it and not here...TU de W4ZV)

Hi Buddy,

That is an interesting link, but don't forget to hit "next" a
few times to get down to:

http://www.antennex.com/compactantenna/_y2k/00000012.htm

so you can see what Jack Belrose actually said.

Also, here are a couple of other interesting links on the subject:

http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Personal/D.Jefferies/poynting.html

http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Personal/D.Jefferies/ref.html

It appears that P.T. Barnum's estimate was conservative.

It also appears that there (_still_) "ain't no free lunch".

Right now, it looks like folks that are not involved in selling
these things who have actually built one and done a competent job
of measuring it are reporting measured performances very close to
what one would expect from the physical size as a fraction of a
wavelength.  This translates to an efficiency in the 1% range
(certainly single digit percentages) for an antenna of this size
and simultaneous claimed bandwidth.

Good efficiency, wide bandwidth, small size.  We only get to pick
two.

73, Eric  N7CL