Topband: Snake or..low beverage?

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Snake or..low beverage?
From: scaroni@phoenix.it (scaroni)
Date: Sun, 2 Jan 2000 18:27:20 +0100
HNY and hi to All,

After reading about the not so famous SNAKE, and its shape, so i have tried
to put on the field one of its.
So it is realizad like the ON4UN explain in the last book, but using a
single very thin copper wire, like is used in transformer, the length is
more than 500/600 mtrs (yes little bit long hi hi), all on the good flat
ground, but now iced.
The far end was terminated with 150 ohm resistance, and at the feed point i
have read the impedance with a noise bridge thinking that may be was about
100/200 ohm or more less like explained in many book.
My surprise is that..........the impedance was near to 400 ohm, so a little
bit less than all my beverage around 500/600 ohm.

So is this a snake or a beverage on the ground??????

About the signal that the antenna produce is very near to the beverage long
300 mtrs 280° direction 2 meters high pointed on the UK, and for the signal
coming from the North Sea, like utility coastal station from Scandinavia, is
2/3 point S more than the beverage pointed to the UK.
Also the lobe seems to be very narrow becouse i have here also an EWE
pointed on 40° and i can optimize the reception very gud in this north area,
so very good signal output and very narrower pattern like i can receive the
coastal station starting at 14.30 Z from here, while that is not receiving
on the EWE and 280° beverage.
This is only a test, i need to optimize the far end load increasing it near
also to 400 ohm, and i think to put another one to JA for made some test
with the EWE pointed in the same direction.
I have discovered another antenna for my use, not dangerous for agricol
tractors and for animals!!!

Ahhh, i was forgetten, the propagation is very good here, is same weeks that
VK6HD is very loud almost every evening, yesterday was 589 like VK6VZ, good
job Mike and Steve, thankyou for the DX opportunity.

73 to all, and hope in more news on rx antenna.

Giulio IK2DED.