Topband: SP '99...a few QRP highlights

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: SP '99...a few QRP highlights
From: n0tt1@juno.com (N0TT@ juno.com)
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 1999 18:19:02 EST
Hi Gang,

Propagation was just "fair" from this section
of the "black hole"..Grid EM29.  Heard no EU
stations or JAs.

Heard KH7R calling CQ at about 1035Z with no
takers.  Called him with my 4.9 watts
and made an almost arm-chair QSO.  He has
"golden ears"...I swear he can hear just
about everyone!

Later, I was calling CQ (no fresh stations
could be found) then ZF2NT answered!

Around 1300Z I heard VK6HD calling CQ...A
huge pile-up on him.  The pile-up started
to thin out, then I heard K0CS of Colorado
give him a exquisitely timed call for a QSO.
Then later I heard W0AIH work VK6HD.  I gave
VK6HD a few calls and SURPRISE, I was in
his log at about 1319Z!!!  I was shaking with
excitement!!

The West Coast stations were hard to reach this
year.  Worked only a few.  Had trouble reaching
the "Salt Dale" team (QRN there?), but kept
visiting their frequency every ten minutes or
so and finally my signal was strong enough to
exchange info.

"Hats off" to the Boring Amateur Radio Club for
sponsoring this event!  It was fun contest!!

73,
Charlie, N0TT
Grid EM29