Topband: EA8/G4CAZ

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: EA8/G4CAZ
From: sire@omen.net.au (Steve Ireland)
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 1999 05:58:35 +0800
Conditions seemed much poorer at VK6 sunrise today than in the last week or
so and in the 20 minutes period before sunrise, only two relatively weak
signals - OK1AMB (559) and OE5KE (349, pkg 459) were logged.  Otherwise the
topband seemed dead.

Tuning down just above 1.839, at around 2108Z (some 4 minutes after
sunrise) I heard a relatively strong SSB signal.  This turned out to be
EA8/G4CAZ, who was trying to work what I assumed to be a European.  To my
amazement, the EA8 station was peaking at least R5 S7.

I copied that EA8/G4CAZ was on Lanzarotte and he said that QSL was via his
own call, but I could not attract his attention.  At 2111Z, his signal
suddenly dropped into the noise.  All the copy had been done using my
inverted vee dipole at 90' high.

Although I have worked EA8 on CW a couple of times before, I have never
heard a signal as strong as this from that area on what seemed a dead/poor
band.

Steve, VK6VZ
CQ 160 - The Twilight Zone