Topband: Wire Vertical advice

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Wire Vertical advice
From: k8unp@shadow.net (Pete Rimmel N8PR)
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 1999 09:52:58 -0500
If It were me, I would feed the tower with an elevated radial system,
insullated from the tower, placed down 1/4 wavelength electrically from
the top of your 'loaded' tower (loaded with HF antennas as capacitance
hats).  BUT -- Don't put the center conductor of the coax to the tower,
put that to the 4 elevated radials, and put the braid to the tower.
That keeps all your electrical grounds consistent.  Take a MFJ analyzer
and a 1/4 wave "radial" up the side of the tower and connect the
'radial' to the center of a short piece of coax. then touch the braid of
that coax to the tower as you climb to find the 'resonant' height.
Don't forget that a good ground screen under the tower on the ground or
buried will increase the performance.

Good Luck.

Pete N8PR