Topband: Beverage Improvements?

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Beverage Improvements?
From: aa8u@modempool.com (Bruce Lallathin)
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 1999 08:05:23 -0400
At 06:15 PM 10/19/99 -0700, you wrote:

 #1 rod is 6 ft. copper plumbing pipe, the rest of
>the rods are 3'4" copper plumbing pipe spaced 2 ft around the first rod.

Rather than putting in the extra short rods, you would make much more effective
use of your time and materials and get a lower effective resistance for the
network by adding another 6' rod at a distance of about 10' from the first.
Better yet, install 8'x 5/8" steel ground rods and keep them 16' apart.
Probably for a Beverage, only one or two 8' rods properly installed should be
sufficient at each end of the antenna.

When you install rods so close together their effective "fields of influence"
overlap and the end result is hardly much better than the first rod alone.

>An examination of the two tables reveals that nothing really changed when
>extra ground rods were added!

Nothing significant changed with respect to your grounding because the rods
were too short and too close spaced. It did look like an interesting exercise
though.

>If someone has had a good experience putting in extra grounds and tying
>them together with a ground wire, please let me know. But as far as I'm
>concerned, I went to a lot of work and expense for nothing.

As they say on TV, "Wider is Better!"

73,
Bruce
AA8U