Topband: The Passing of K1MEM

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: The Passing of K1MEM
From: K1ZM@aol.com (K1ZM@aol.com)
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 11:12:18 EDT
Hi Gang

I learned yesterday of the passing of Jim Dionne, K1MEM, holder of 160M DXCC
number 30.  Jim also had confirmed more than 250 countries on Topband and
surely more would have been possible had he been a well man during the latter
years of his relatively young life.

Like most of you, I knew Jim from his accomplishments on 160m but I also knew
him from the old Murphy Marauder Contest Club days and from his membership in
the Yankee Clipper Contest Club.  Jim is remembered for a number of
dxpeditions (I remember one to either Sable or St Paul Island in 1982) and
also because he administered the CQ WAZ awards for CQ Magazine until his
death.  Under Jim's tutelage you **ALWAYS** knew that when you read about
someone achieving a 40Z WAZ award on Topband that it was the **real** thing -
he checked that stuff religiously once he took on the responsibility for it.

Jim was also a personal friend for nearly 40 years.  I first learned of him
from a summer camp acquaintance in 1981.  That fellow, Justin Eringus, told
me his neighbor was a guy who identified over the air using the phonetics "K1
Man Eating Monster"!  Somehow, I never forgot those phonetics although I
doubt Jim used them much beyond his very EARLY General class licensee days!

Over the years, Jim and I shared an interest in Cape Cod - we often spoke of
the best restaurants on the Cape as he and his lovely wife Genvieve often
visited the Cape for weekends in the Fall - AFTER the summer crowds had left
it to true "lovers" of the Cape and Islands.

In September 1997, Jim sent me an email asking about where he might stay for
a week's vacation.  I suggested that since I now had a place available
(complete with a pretty fair 160M station and antennas) that he was welcome
to stay at my new home - just for the asking.

Jim and Genvieve came on down - spent a week and Jim worked alot of 160M and
also VK9WM on both 80 and 40m.  Not a chance on 160M, but he tried....

Several weeks AFTER his visit, my wife and I revisited our home and found
several totally unexpected GIFTS from Jim and Genvieve - two bottles of fine
wine, some Video rental gift certificates - and a $100 GIFT certificate to
the finest beach club restaurant in Orleans.  I appreciated his kindness then
and obviously I have not forgotten it now.....

Jim, regrettably, suffered from kidney disease and had received a transplant
from his DAD many years ago.  I am no expert in these things - but matching
of these things is critical and he had troubles early on just staying alive.
I know it was a horrible burden that he suffered under in later years - yet
Jim never complained - even after he had to undergo hip transplants just so
he could walk without pain - these being required due to the huge volumes of
steroids he had to take - just to stay alive each day.

As others have mentioned, Jim never sought to call attention to his
condition.  He hung in there and fought for every day - and while we always
hoped for a succesful outcome, it just was not to be.

Like many who knew him, I will always remember Jim - as a fine Dx'er,
Contester and Topband expert - as he was surely one of the best - attaining a
fine DXCC score with only a 65 foot high inverted Vee as a Xmit antenna.
Some of his **best** Topband contacts included 4S7VK, J28EI, 3A2ARM and ZA1QA
- all being made BEFORE 1990!!

Sleep well my friend - you will be missed.

73 JEFF

K1ZM@aol.com