Topband: Rack mounted beverage doesn't work well!

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Rack mounted beverage doesn't work well!
From: W0AH@aol.com (W0AH@aol.com)
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 1999 13:11:46 EDT
Topbanders:
     Oh, you mean it has to be stretched out in a straight line?  Tell that
to our frequent guest.
Anyway, all the talk of beverage lengths, beverages over fences, and
signal-to-noise ratios brings me to this.
Two nights ago, a sixteen-pointer buck took down my NE European beverage
again!   My wife and I saw him approaching our property at sunset as we were
returning from town.
     Over it's 740', the NE beverage sags in a few places down to 5', and the
buck found one of them!  I keep putting higher supporting structures in to
support the beverage, and the darn deer keeps growing a bigger rack!
      I am still trying to find the correct terminating resistance for good
F/B on the NE, east, and west beverages.  ON4UN uses 470 ohms with just a 2'
ground rod, but I suspect he has better conducting soil than our clay and
rock here near the base of Pikes Peak, so I have recently put slightly better
3' terminating ground rods in and poored some salt water solution around the
ground rod.   Does that help?   Hope the deer and elk don't think it's a salt
lick!
      What terminating resistance are others using in what type of soil and
with what kind of terminating ground rod?   And with waht results?
      Conditions haven't improved the past two weeks.  In fact, I think they
were better in late August.  We still have S9+ QRN every night.   The VK's
have good signals in the AM, near our sunrise, and I have heard  a couple of
JA's, but unhappily, they seemed to get on after our sunrise as signals were
disappearing.
      My Titan has problems so I am only running  500-600 watts presently
(single 3-500Z) with an old Heathkit SB-1000 that likes to arc over on 160M
and 80M at higher powers.
Doug  W0AH