Topband: beverage antennas

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: beverage antennas
From: k4sb@mindspring.com (K4SB)
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 21:56:12 +0100

GALE STEWARD K3ND wrote:

> I had always heard that to "follow the lay of the land" was the
> preferred installation technique.  Never thought of the counterpoise
> wire to simulate the "missing" ground.  A great idea!  Never heard it
> mentioned before.

If you are talking about an identical wire laying on the ground
under the Beverage, a counterpoise is the absolutely worst thing
you can do. The Beverage depends on a lossy ground under the
wire. ( not under the ends though ) It is a "traveling wave"
antenna and depends on the ground loss to tilt the angle.

73
Ed