Topband: DSP Units on Topband, Info Wanted

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: DSP Units on Topband, Info Wanted
From: lee@crcltd.com (Lee Ward)
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 17:46:36 -0500
Stew,

I am using a TS-870, and the DSP is pretty impressive under various 160
noise condx. The worst is still QRN from storms. If the signal is weaker
than the QRN then it is just plain wiped out. If the sig is a little
stronger, than at least you can copy easier with less head banging. DSP
does take the peaks off the noise.

I have a JPS filter also, and it is helpful on my R4C. DSP is not what I
would consider a "cureall" for noise, it just makes copy easier by
reducing backround noise. If you listen to weak signals on 160 for hours
it can make for less fatigue.

I also have the DSP filter for my IC-706MII mobile, and it is a real
pleasure to listen to when just a little DSP is added. It also gets rid
of ignition and computer noise in the mobile.

All of the DSP's are great for elimination of heterodynes in all
situations. that is probably the greatest feature in shortwave prone
places like 40 fone.
All in all, I would not be without DSP, and I think it will only get
better as technology marches on.

Lee  K0LW