Topband: Force 12 verticals

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Force 12 verticals
From: aa4nn@juno.com (Joe L Blackwell)
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 1999 20:26:12 -0400
>I'm hoping you have some insight on how the shortened
>verticals from Force-12 and Gladiator perform.  I'm specifically
>interested in the Force 12 EF-180BV.

I have used the Gladiator center loaded vertical in a few of the 160
contests with good results, meaning it loads to 1.5kw with no
problem and listens pretty good.    You'll get a 1 to 1 at your chosen
frequency, but the 2 to 1 band width is only about 26 khz, which to
me is not good if you are going to S&P.  Soon after I got the CL160,
Meyers came out with the top loaded vertical, and if I were to go with
a shortened vertical I would certainly look at that version.  More
bandwidth but the same concerns with a short antenna.  Now, if
one were interested in a run frequency, fully loaded with a KW, the
Gladiator would do it.

73, de Joe AA4NN
Eastern Top Band ARC, Fairfield County ARC, Carolina DX Assn,
Carolina CW Ops
eeetet   ee