Topband: Not IN LOG

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Not IN LOG
From: k4sb@mindspring.com (Edward W. Sleight)
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 18:43:15 +0100
<19990617.071145.4455.0.k6se@juno.com>
Sender: owner-topband@contesting.com

I disagree completely with the philosophy that if the DX miscopied
your call, you're not in the log. I have had it happen on 2 occasions,
once when my call was entered as K4STS (K4SB) and another when it was
entered as K6SB, and don't ask me how you turn a 4 into a 6 unless you
suffer from dyslexia.

Both cards initially bounced, but in the case of K4STS,
that call wasn't assigned, and a nice letter to the manager cleared
that up. In the other case, I wrote a personal letter to K6SB
describing the operation and asking him if he indeed had been on. He
replied he hadn't been on 10 meters in over 10 years, and per my
request, put the reply on my original letter. That letter submitted to
the manager resulted in the card.

The concept that the DX operator is infallible is nonsense. If you
have reasonable proof that the logged station did NOT work the DX, and
you submit a card with the correct times and all, then pure common
sense would dictate that an error not under your control occurred. In
my cases, my call was lengthened once, ENTERED incorrectly in the
second, but acknowledged correctly during the qso. Now for a more
common entity, it's not worth the trouble, but that second one was
3Y0, whom I worked on all 6 bands.

Speculation that a manager manipulates a log is meaningless. There is
NO requirement that you get a QSL for a contact, and if the manager
acts upon instructions from the DX to not QSL the contact, I would not
question why. And from the operating habits I see, I would think he
had good reason.

73
Ed