Topband: 5u7dg - lowbands

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: 5u7dg - lowbands
From: vk3ajj@techno.net.au (vk3ajj)
Date: Sat, 05 Jun 1999 02:12:14 +0000
Hello Reflectees,

I have been in regular contact with Dan, 5u7dg in Niger and he is very keen
to get active on the lowbands (40, 80 and 160M). He is hopeful that a club,
dx association etc can help him out with a commercial vertical and a small
amplifier. I have posted Dan's message below and would request if any one
can offer assistance that they email me directly (and I can then put you in
direct contact with Dan). It is fair to say that Dan is not a big fan of
pile-ups but he has still handed out a fair few qsos on the higher bands
and is eager to do the same on 40, 75 and 160M.

Regards

Paul (vk3ajj)

"CQ CQ CQ DX, CQ CQ CQ DX, 5U7DG calling CQ on 80 meters and standing by."
Well , not yet anyway!  Not on 40, 80, or 160 meters.  Please allow me to
introduce myself.

My name is Dan Germaine.  I live and work in the capital city of Niger
Republic, West Africa.  I'm here with my wife, Lisa, and 3 boys, Kent,
Kyle, and Kurt.  My job is as a pilot/mechanic with the mission, SIM
International.  We fly Piper Saratogas in Niger and into some of the
surrounding countries, transporting missionaries, mail, medical supplies,
the sick, and generally try to help in whatever way we can.

I began work here in May of 1977 (this maybe 1997 - Vk3ajj).
Although Niger is one of the poorest,
hottest, and driest countries in the world I do enjoy living here.  I like
the work and I appreciate the people.  They are very hospitable in spite of
almost insurmountable problems.  4/5 of Niger is Sahara Desert.  We plan on
being here for another year, until the summer of 2000, possibly the summer
of 2001.

Something I dreamed of doing for a long time was setting up an amateur
station here.  For a time it was next to impossible because of the former
military regime.  Evidently there was some temporary activity here in the
80's, as some people tell me on the radio.  During our last stay in the
USA, in Elizabethton, Tennessee,  I got licensed up through Extra.
Presently I am the only active ham in the country.  I presume
the others have been gone for some time.  It took me 6 months of patience
and persistence to follow my file through 7 or 8 government offices and get
my Nigerien call sign, 5U7DG.  I received my license here in July 1998.

My equipment is an Icom 706MkII, AT-180 tuner, Hy-gain TH6 antenna, and a
long wire antenna.  100 watts output. To start with I just had the long
wire, then in January 1999 finally got the TH6 up.  Although I don't have a
rotor it does turn quite nicely to where I want it on some "lazy Susan"
bearings...if I pop out the back door to do it.  I'm so happy to have this
antenna that not having a rotor isn't a big deal.  At this point I can do
fairly well on 10, 15, and 20 meters.  The long wire I use on 12 and 17
meters...not great but it works.  We live in the middle of the city with
neighbors on all sides.  Our property is approximately 60 X 60 feet.  There
are a few tall trees which get in the way more than help.  A power line
going to the house cuts the property in half.

What I would really like to do is get out efficiently on 40, 80, and 160
meters, particularly on 80 I suppose, because that's the band I get the
most requests for.  To do this I would like to install a high quality
antenna and perhaps boost my power output as well.  Given my time and
financial constraints I will probably not be able to do this without a
boost from the ham community.  Hence the reason for this note.

I am committed to being here, as mentioned above, for another year,
possibly two.  I would like to help people out by being available on those
lower bands.  I realize it is a priviledge to be living in a country like
Niger.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Dan, 5u7dg