Topband: Aurora

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Aurora
From: k1fz@agate.net (B. A. Clark)
Date: Fri, 21 May 1999 00:13:37 +0100
NCJ article-Aurora      (ARRL SSB DX Contest 1999)

I just received the latest  NCJ and read the excellent article "Aurora
is NEVER pretty". It is well written and those of us to the South do not
always realize how well we have it.

Ari,  OH1EH  was having trouble being heard.  Hearing at times was a
problem.  In my case, Northern New England was  having a severe
Blizzard.
Dry blowing snow was causing white outs to the extent that my towers
were disappearing from view.  Needless to say the snow static was
extreme most of the time. There were times when it did let up.
The Blizzard and the blowing snow timing was such to last the entire
contest. The sunrise Monday morning was very colorful.
My contest entry to the ARRL included a photo of the start of  a  white
out, and the Monday sunrise.
I thought my score was poor until I found that many of us were in the
same boat with various problems.

It's all part of the Low Band challenge.

73-Bruce-K1FZ