Topband: Insurance qsos

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Insurance qsos
From: W7lr@aol.com (W7lr@aol.com)
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 1999 19:12:08 EDT
This is a topic pertinent to topband operating.  Most of us avoid these for
obvious reasons.  I am learning the hard way that this is not always a good
idea.
I was sure that I had a good qso on 160m with T33RD but the dreaded
"not in the log" occurred (not listed in the electronic log). For what I
thought was an insurance qso I used our club call W7YB and worked them on the
first call, so I was getting out ok.  Even tho this was from the W7LR station
and operator the dxcc desk says it wont count - so the next insurance contact
will be with W7LR.
If they say "b4" or "worked before" or it shows up in the electronic log then
the insurance qso isnt needed.  This is not the end of the world and there
will be more T33's down the road.  I did receive perhaps ten email messages
before saying those had heard my good contact - perhaps some of you could
send those to me again (direct to w7lr@aol.com) so maybe OK1RD will be
convinced.  I hope this helps someone out there and doesnt aggravate more
insurance qsos that are not needed.  Bob W7LR

(Have you tried contacting them directly?  I know of at least one
who was logged incorrectly and the OK guys agreed.  They were logged
as K---X when their call was really K--- ...de W4ZV)