TopBand: T33RD March 26 -- ever elusive!

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: T33RD March 26 -- ever elusive!
From: jon.zaimes@dol.net (Jon Zaimes AA1K)
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 18:06:46 -0500 (EST)
The day started out good. I managed to work them from the car on 20m cw on
the way home from work about 0600z. A new one from the mobile and most
important, they told me they would rev up on 160 at 0945z -- so I could
catch an extra 45 minutes of sleep!

When I awoke they were still on 80m cw, and moved to Top about 0950z. But
conditions were the worst of the week. Had a very high noise level, and they
were right on the edge of it for about an hour, listening on 1908 kHz. Many
to the west and south were calling, obviously hearing them better than I
was. Just a few minutes before our sunrise the band became very, very quiet.
We must have lost propagation to that storm area! T33RD's signal was about
S6, and now easy copy -- and they started listening up 5 about the same
time, where we could pump the full 1.5kw into the antenna. Now they started
to work some W2's and W3's, but, alas, no prize for me. They stayed on and I
was still hearing them FB till about 25 minutes past sunrise.

Another try tomorrow!

73/Jon AA1K