TopBand: LDE

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: LDE
From: kl7y@alaska.net (Dan Robbins)
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 04:42:25 +0000
On 10 Feb around 1400Z I began hearing a long delayed echo on my 160
meter signal.  The echo was extremely variable in strength, it went from
non-existent to quite loud in just a second or two.  The band seemed
quite good right then.  I could easily hear my own backscatter signal on
all antennas.  Both N7JW and N7DD were well over S9, the loudest JAs
were in the S9 range and UA0MF was a 589-599.  The VK9 was conspiciously
absent. By tweaking the keyer speed and counting bauds, I came up with a
rough estimate of the delay at 0.4 sec.  This corresponds to about
75,000 miles. The LDE delay seemed a little shorter than others I've
heard.  The effect lasted about 10 minutes at most.  While the mechanism
for this echo has been pretty well explained, it is still quite a thrill
to hear.  Now if I could just figure out how to get that distance
multiplier into the Stew Perry TBDXC....

                                                        Dan KL7Y