TopBand: RX AID FROM THE PAST

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: RX AID FROM THE PAST
From: Richard@foxfield.demon.co.uk (Richard McLachlan)
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 20:06:40 +0000
There were and still are commercial products based on this technique. It
is actually a standard feature on the Fairhaven receiver made by a UK
company about 10 miles from where I am sitting. (www.fairhaven.co.uk I
think) I first saw it in  a UK article by Dud Charman G6CJ in the late
sixties IIRC entitled a Stereocode decoder. This used the two channels
of a pair of stereo headphones. I built the design, and its effect was
uncanny - just close your eyes and you were sitting on the band
listening to signals above and below you. It was perfectly possible to
ignore the loud QRM over there on the right and concentrate of the weak
DX about 2 feet off to the left!

I used it to great effect in 160m contests.
--
Richard McLachlan

www.foxfield.demon.co.uk

C152/R22