TopBand: High Angle in Europe

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: High Angle in Europe
From: bob.read@ieee.org (Bob Marshall-Read)
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 1999 08:49:58 +0000
Topbanders,

The past few days the arrival angle of North American signals (when they
are there) has been noticeably louder on the inverted L transmit antenna
(a new experiment) than on the western flag or the phased shielded
loops.  The E/W beverage feed line has been eaten in two places by the
sheep now in the adjacent field so that one is out of service.

I think the high angle mode has been dominant on the North American
path, but from Asia and the far east the signals have been arriving in a
more normal manner.  Also, the usual strong W/K/VE signals have been
down, with the noted exception of those that can switch to high angle
transmit antennas.

Ireland has been a grand experiment, including the stress tests that
half a dozen force 11 gales so far this season have provided for the
masts and wires.

As consulting work is very dynamic, I will be moving this week from
Ireland to England (G4VGO) and be travelling to Africa and the far east
during the week for the next few months.  (all this just in time to miss
CQWW CW - phone is a possibility from G4, but will have to buy a
microphone I guess).

73

Bob   G4VGO/EI7IU

PS - All cards for the 5,000 EI 160m QSO's will be answered from the EI
bureau or direct for EI7IU.  DXCC hit 102 so three months wasn't too
unproductive.