TopBand: Noise Phasing Units

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Noise Phasing Units
From: S21YP@granger.bdonline.com (Bob G3REP)
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 1999 19:05:49 +0600
Thanks for the responses to my posting on Noise Cancelling Units ( and
requests for skeds!!)

Summary of responses
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
From: tracey gardner <tracey@bigwig.net>

I've got an MFJ1026 but its in bits at the moment.
I was in the process of modifying it to work down into the
LW/MW bands (the 1026 has 1.5MHz HP filters on its inputs) but gave
up when I discovered that Wellbrook Communications in the UK
produce a much superior product that works down to 50kHz.
I'd suggest that you have a word with Andy Ikin of Wellbrook
Communications if you want to get hold a decent bespoke phasing unit.
The best way would be to write to Andy Ikin, his address is
as follows,
Wellbrook Communications
Wellbrook House
Brookside Road
Bransgore
Christchurch
Dorset
BH23 8NA
U.K.

Andy will be only too pleased to send you details of his products.
It might be best to specifically request details of the APU100 Phasing
Unit and K9AY antenna as I'm not sure if Andy offers these on the open
market yet.

73s Tracey G5VU
++++++++++++++++++++

I'm very happy with my MFJ-1026. It's excellent in reducing line
noise (provided that it's not coming from multiple directions).
However, while others have reported more optimistic things,
I have found it to be of limited help in reducing static. The ones
reporting greater success in eliminating static have generally had
compromise receive antennas to start with (vs. my Beverages).
I suspect that my better receive antennas bring in more static from
greater distances/more azimuths such that it's impossible to deeply
null all of the static here.
But, again, I'm very glad that I have it. While not that effective
in reducing static, combining the right antennas can often produce a
more readable signal!

73, Bill KØHA

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

 I own a MFJ-1026, Ted N4XX owns a MFJ-1026 and Sid K3SX owns a
MFJ-1025 (no preamp). Jeff K1ZM uses a JPS unit.

The MFJ unit does help my situation. I have found
and Ted N4XX will tell you it has to be a noise coming from one direction, or
a point noise in order for a phase noise canceller to really work
correctly.

One thing to keep in mind, I have found used (new) phase noise
cancellers on the market due to folks don't understand what they have or
how to use them correctly.

I have a local broadcast station here on 1430 khz, when I zero its QRG it
is 60db over S9, I can null their signal down to S9! So I know my unit
is working.

Scott K8SM
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I own the MFJ 1025. I HAVE tried the JPS units and concluded the MFJ
units work the best.
Other topband ops. who also use th eMFJ 1025 or 1026 include: ON4UN,
N4XX[ who wrote a third party review of the1026 in CQ magazine], K0HA
and W8JI amongst others. My opinion is the other units do not work
nearly as well. I have loaned my unit to K4ZW for his JY8ZW expedition
and then to K8SM who was able to finally get back on to the band using
the unit.

Everything on 160 is almost totally singular in nature and performance.
Noise, antenna performance...everything, I had spent a small fortune on
external DSPs and noise cancellers.

73,
Sid K3SX

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I also like the ANC-4 noise cancelling device. you can get it from HRO or AES
by fax order and a visa card. it is very similar to the mfj model. both work
pretty well. it costs about $179 US at last check.

73 jeff
K1ZM

Thanks to all

With Luck I should have my permanent licence tomorrow but please dont all
ask for skeds I will be on when the job and time permit !!
Best 73

Bob Parkes
S21YP/G3REP