TopBand: No More Whining!

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: No More Whining!
From: miltj@aepnet.com (Milt Jensen, N5IA)
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 1999 19:13:32 -0700
At 06:32 PM 1/8/99 -0500, Bill Tippett wrote:

>        Good grief guys!  Are we adults or a bunch of 2 years olds?
>Stop the whining and complaining!  Most of these expeditions
>are doing the best they can under the circumstances and we can't
>expect them to change the position of the sun or band conditions.
>
>        We are fortunate that many of these expeditions are on 160
>at all and sure don't need to whine in public about it.  Let's grow
>up or at least act like we are.
>
>                                                73,  Bill  W4ZV

        Bill is absolutely correct.  Many hundreds more 10, 80 & 40 Meter
contacts (in particular on sunrise & sunset paths) could have been made by
Robin and I during the recent XZ1N expedition had we not dedicated one high
performance station strictly to 160 Meter operation.
        The 160 Meter log shows nearly 100 hours of operation without any
contacts on Topband.  Most days the 160 Meter operation usurped the 10
Meter operation just at the time when multitudes of 10 Meter operators were
waiting in line for the few minutes that the band would open from XZ to
their location.
        Indeed we are very fortunate that Topband is proportioned the
facilities, operating time, and antenna install time by these expeditioners
to provide by far the lowest Q count per band that any operation will
accomplish.
        Happy New Year, and CU all in the 160 'tests.  73 de Milt, N5IA