TopBand: "Spitfire" antenna experience?

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: "Spitfire" antenna experience?
From: peter.wardenier@asml.nl (Peter Wardenier)
Date: Mon, 04 Jan 1999 13:27:44 +0100
--------------B6CF35D5EFDE8466DBFA9062

Hi Topbanders, good luck to you all in 1999.

We're considering using the "Spitfire modification" for our
35m vertical during the CQWW160 contest
(see http://www.yccc.org/Features/Spitfire/spitfire.htm).
Does anyone have some practical experience with this type of
antenna on 160m?
What dimensions of vertical and parasitic elements do you use?

I'm a bit worried about the drop in radiation resistance caused by
the addition of a reflector/director (ELNEC), as our ground resistance
is pretty 'bad' (not *all* of Holland is below sea level, you know...)
Thanks in advance for your info,

Peter (PA3AUC), on behalf of topband/VHF contestgroup PA3BAS