TopBand: Those frustrating countries

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Those frustrating countries
From: sire@omen.com.au (Steve Ireland)
Date: Sat, 2 Jan 1999 05:56:21 +0800
Everyone has a couple of countries that they chase that always seem to elude
their outstretched keying hand - in my case, Korea and Romania.

Yesterday 31/01/98 DS4CNB was a solid RST 569 on 1823.8 at 2050Z - often
hear people calling him, but usually no copy here.  Unfortunately, he was
QSX JA and after working a couple and getting no more calls, went QRT
without hearing my calls on his Tx frequency.

Last year, I chased DS5RNM all season with no luck and a couple of days ago
called HL0ZX for 10 minutes while he ground out CQ after CQ at a steady RST
579 on 1823.8 at around 1200Z...

Today it was YO3AC that I suddenly noticed just above 1830, working some
fellow Europeans, 5 minutes after sunrise (2113Z), just as the band was
going out.  Andy slowly slid into the noise.  For a moment, I thought he
came back, but I think it was to a LA6...

I have now heard YO several times...when the noise suddenly came up, I was
inaudible at their end, they were chasing a DX station or some other
emanation of Murphy...

If anyone else needs these countries, it could be worth watching out on
these frequencies and times.  If you manage to work them, please don't tell
me...

Vy 73,

Steve, VK6VZ