TopBand: "Best" Receiver for 160 Work

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: "Best" Receiver for 160 Work
From: ku0a@blue.weeg.uiowa.edu (Nelson Moyer)
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 1998 14:43:54 -0600
After using an FT707 (no 160) since 1981, I'm finally able to get a new
radio. The short list, based upon max. available funds for rig, PS and
filters (approx. $3000 plus or minus 300) is down to the TS870S, IC756,
FT1000MP and Omni-VI Plus.  I'd be interested in any comments or
recommendations on the receivers in these rigs for 160 and 80 meter use.
>From what I've read about synthesized receivers and noise floor, relative
to weak signal work, the Omni-VI Plus looks good. Any Omni users on 160 out
there?

Nelson
KU0A