TopBand: Low band QRN solved

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Low band QRN solved
From: n2nl@netpci.com (David Mueller)
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 1998 05:30:20 +1000
   Ever since I moved into my present QTH, I had been suffering
nasty QRN on 80 and 160m.  It was so bad (S9+ at all times)
that I gave up trying 160, and only operated 80m during contests
when I had to work the mults.  I truly hated to be an alligator.
   I tried everything to find the source of the noise.  I drove around
the neigborhood with the AM radio on looking for noisy spots.  NADA.
I cut the breakers in the house one by one trying to find an in-house
noise source.  NADA.  Then the other night....
   I had already shut off all my equipment, and was ready for bed.
I decided to give the bands one more listen, so I turned on my
radio....JUST my radio, and wow...no more noise!!  It turns out
it was my new computer ALL ALONG!! Since I do all my logging
on the computer, I always had it on when the rig was on.  And it was
on the same breaker as my rig so I didn't discover it that way.
   Anyway, now I feel REAL STUPID.  I feel like sticking my foot up
my rear SIDEWAYS because I didnt discover it sooner.
   I have tried a few things to cure the noise, including cores on the
power cable, but I think its coming from the power supply.  I need
to troubleshoot further. For the meanwhile I turn off the computer
when on the low bands, logging on paper.
   Bottom line is I can hear pretty well now.  I have been quite active
on 80m, especially for USA sunrise, and I feel I can hear quite well,
except for occational SSB crap on the band and the tropical QRN.
I was even listening to stateside guys in the Stu Perry test using my
80m verticals. FYI, N6RO was by far the loudest.
   I hope to, over the next couple days, sneak a line over my neigbors
coconut tree and string up a 160m inverted L.  I soon hope to be joining
Gus KH2/K4SXT on 160.  Ill try to be as active as possible but please
remember I'm an active duty member of the Coast Guard with a
an ever changing and busy work schedule (including monthly 2 week
patrols).
   Hope to see everyone on top band soon....
73, and Happy New Year,
Dave KH2/N2NL
n2nl@netpci.com
PS...You haven't heard Gus the past couple nights because he
had to go on a business trip to Hawaii Monday AM