TopBand: Electric Fence Noise

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Electric Fence Noise
From: w1zkvt@together.net (Ralph McClintock)
Date: Tue, 08 Dec 1998 00:08:54 +0000
Bill,
 I am presently QRT on 160 due to the damned click - click - click of
electric fences. I am now surrounded by 3 "gentleman farmers" (if that's
what you call horse people) with one fence within 20' of my NE beverage.
Other than going after "must haves" (KH2 & A35 this fall) I can't
operate on 160... with 3 separate click - click senarios going on.  It's
as bad as an old V-8 engine ignition. 80 through 10 meters is effected
to a progressively lessening degree. With local, up to 1,000 miles,
stateside signals being 30 to 60 over S9 within 50Khz of my receive
frequency, even on beverages 1950s style noise blankers in todays modern
rigs don't work (IF intermod & birdies etc.)  Ditto for the JPS and MFJ
noise cancellers. The built-in DPS in modern rigs that don't control the
AGC line don't work either. The Kenwood TS-870 may be the answer but I
have never been able to find anyone who owned one and had the click -
click electric fence noise to determine if it's DPS works on this
problem. From reading the indepth TS-870 manual,  I suspect it doesn't.
    73's & CU when a "must have" appears on the band,   Ralph  W1ZK  (in
"nuts here comes civilization - it's time to move again - Vermont") And
none of this mentioned the horses that got loose and tore down my 160 &
40 meter sloper systems, the lower set of the 80 meter vertical guy
wires and did a spectacular job on the lawn!